I am obviously in a place right now where Hiaasen's novels hit buttons I like having hit, and this one does just that. There's a nefarious scheme that involves continuing to destroy the Everglades unhindered, and it gets at least partially foiled, and the schemers come to bad ends; kinda oddly, approximately no one else does (mainly because none of the other characters in the novel are involved in that scheme--even the people knowingly committing adultery are not behaving that sort of badly). There's typical Hiaasen wit and mild raunch along side the crime and corruption and environmental destruction. Very laugh-out-loud in parts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment