A bunch of rich drunks have drunken adventures in France and Spain between the Wars. There is fishing, and there are bullfights. Decadence and dissolution more or less without reprieve. Lots of conversations, occasionally not super-clear who's talking; I guess it's plausible the characters are talking about things they don't ever (much) mention, but the book really wasn't interesting enough for me to try to read that deeply, or for me to reread it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment