This came out like right after I read Hidden Pictures, which I liked a lot, so I put a hold on it at the library. Uh ... This is not a very good novel--nowhere near as good as Hidden Pictures, for sure. There aren't any really likeable characters, or really even believable ones, and the big twist--who the sociopath the narrator needs to deal with--is pretty obvious from about halfway in (maybe more). I'm sure Rekulak is trying to say important things, mostly about stuff like wealth and power disparities, and I'm sure that to an extent the slightly dulled and thickened narrative voice is intentional; but the overwhelming experience here is authorial clumsiness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment