Thursday, November 21, 2024
Those Who Wish Me Dead by Michael Koryta
A thriller, kinda a pursuit novel--if one told from enough points of view that the chase ends up being kinda kaleidoscopic--set in the forests and mountains around the Montana-Wyoming border. There are some twists, and at least one kinda rugpull, but nothing whacked out or overcomplicated or stupid. Koryta is a writer I've read before, under his Scott Carson *nom de plume*, but this is the first book of his under his own name that I remember reading. The chops are all there, the dude can write, the differences between writing supernatural Horror and like criminal Thrillers are ... not much to worry about, if the writer's brain generates both sorts of stories. Koryta gets story and character, and writes prose ranges well into good (if not magical or heightened or anything).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment