If I've ever read a complete novel by Block, I've forgotten it. I feel as though that's probably either an ongoing big mistake or a series of slightly smaller ones. This is not one of his funny novels, but there are moments of wit and sharp turns of phrase; the characters and setting feel well lived-in--there's some neat retro charm about the POV walking around with a pocket full of quarters so he can make phone calls wherever/whenever. The fact the novel centers around alcoholism makes the title resonant; the fact the novel ties specifically to the difficult work of staying sober, and the specifically challenging nature of AA's Ninth Step, makes the title layered. (I have a weakness for clever titles.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment