After not a lot happens but for people making stupid bad decisions over and over, persistently, the novel takes a turn toward the gratuitously postmodern, trying to shoehorn as many different ideas of what the diagetic objective truths of the novel are or might be; all of that in the service of some very particular ideas of what "genius" is, overlaid with a sort of Internet epistolary element that in 2013 was probably bleeding edge literature complete with Web elements you could scan with your phone to experience more completely (not an idea that seems at all good in 2025). There's a lot of authorial noise here, but not much worth bothering with other than some widely scattered turns of phrase. Thank you for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts for you, who's the next contestant?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment