Thursday, January 16, 2025
Redemption Road by John Hart
This novel has nothing I noticed in the way of supernatural about it, and I have the sense that's probably something Hart's more comfortable with than having ghosts and stuff running around. I mean, I saw the Big Twist coming something like 200 pages before it landed, but Hart doesn't seem to be an overly subtle novelist, even among prize-winning crime novelists. There's a lot that happens in this novel, and it's kinda jumbled at times, but the various relationships ring at least mostly true, and the ending is--suitably, given the title--distinctly hopeful, if not exactly redemptive; maybe Hart gets that earning redemption isn't so easy, maybe he just wanted to leave the ending a bit more open-ended. It's not a great novel, but I don't feel as though I've wasted my evening; I might not jump at more by the author, however.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...

No comments:
Post a Comment