I really wanted to like this novel--I've heard lots of good things about the Sandman Slim books--but this was not very good. It took like forever to get itself set up, then took its sweet time getting moving; and the putative protagonist took until the last quarter of the book, and maybe well into that, before he did anything for himself, for his own reasons, as something other than a reaction to someone else doing or saying a thing. Also, the weird fictional German dieselpunk city never really coalesced for me as a setting, and the attempts to convey Weimar Germany likewise failed to land. I'm sure Kadrey had things he was trying to say, parallels he wanted to make between the rise of Nazi Germany and current politics, but honestly read something recent by Lebuskes and get the same subtext, mostly, in a better novel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment