Holy crap. This might be the most brutal, beautiful novel I've read in a long, long time. Bad things accrete and escalate, to an ending that feels like a punch in the belly. Sparkling prose and deeply human, flawed. believable characters. To the extent there's any hope in the novel, it's not for the main character, there's one person who might escape the story's gravity, her story doesn't feel as though it's ending so much as beginning. If memory serves, this is the novel that made David Joy's reputation; I emphatically see why. It's still ringing in my ears, and I read it yesterday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment