Thursday, February 27, 2025
Axiom's End by Lindsay Ellis
This turned out to be a surprisingly good SF novel, sort of an alternative-universe first-contact story laden with conspiracy-theory talk, more reasonable in the context of the story than it ever really was in reality. Lots of interesting things about family and commitment to Truth, and some serious thoughts expressed about humanity's reaction/s to more-powerful ETs (thoughts I've seen elsewhere, but that's not a dig). The prose sticks most every landing, occasionally mustering grace and/or wit above and/or beyond the call of duty, the characters all make sense and stand apart from each other (though there's a bit of head-hopping) and the story resolves well with some interesting implications in the denouement. I'm pleased for the entire story to fit into one book, that's less and less the way in SF and Fantasy these days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment