At this point I feel a little like a slightly unhinged fan, but Laura McHugh can really fucking write. This is a dark as hell little thriller with all kinds of things to say about family and religion and how sexual assault victims who go to the police end up being victimized again, their situations often don't improve by much, the investigators often skitter on the edge of abuse. Also because Ms. McHugh has a thing for them, this has strong whiffs of bildungsroman to it. Strong characters, and the hope that emerges at the end is all the brighter for all the darkness one passes through to get to it. Better than at least one of the books I read yesterday, probably more enjoyable than both of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...

No comments:
Post a Comment