Um. Wow. This is like an anarchist-Orwellian body horror novel, with undertones of like aging and/or other inevitable death, and how the aged and dying tend to be forgotten and disappear. It's easy to see the island in the novel as a metaphor for a nursing home or something--though that's plausibly just an unintended resonance or something. This novel is fucking grim, but in a kinda beautiful way, it's probably the first novel in translation I've actually enjoyed in a long time (though I've had enough bad experiences with books in translation that I mostly choose against them, these days). It's probably at least as literary as last night's book, but fucking worlds better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment