There were several times reading this that I gave serious thought to putting it down and getting on with my evening, but I figured I'd keep going in case the novel every managed (or maybe bothered) to pay of its premise. I should have stopped, and spared myself the unending digressions pointlessly spiraling into pomo inanity about the impossibility of facts; then an ending that's really more like a stop. In between, La Farge manages to mimic Lovecraft at his least readable and the sludgy prose of a shrinkologist who can't get out of her own head without ever managing to demonstrate that he can write prose that is actually pleasant to read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment