Ms. Harrow writes novels that are strong magic, and this might be the most powerful thing of hers I've read, heady and hefty--never more so than when it's at its most understated. There are obvious metaphors and echoes and reflections and connections of and with the real world, here; there will be those who see this as a strongly political novel (and I wouldn't be inclined to disagree with them). The language is persistently beautiful, and after a bit of a rough start things come together then tighten into a spiral that leads to an ending with weight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...

No comments:
Post a Comment