Thursday, May 29, 2025
Choice of Evil by Andrew Vachss
This is a typically grim novel from Vachss, but maybe in some ways less violent than some. I don't know the ways in which the New York of these novels reflects the real New York of the 1990s and early 2000s, but it's deeply internally consistent. I have to believe it reflects Vachss' day job, there's at least one lawyer in the novel who clearly reflects some of that experience (in a relatively light-haearted, humorous way). Vachss had an ear for dialogue, for sure, and a sense of how to structure a story so it could end almost abruptly, with questions unanswered, and still feel satisfying. Strong stuff and a good read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment