After the mediocre-to-bad choices the last few nights, it was a refreshing change of pace to actually enjoy the novel I read without reservation. It's not perfect, there's perhaps a little too much unearned misdirection going on, and some of the characters and events don't ring entirely on-key; but it's a good novel. The prose is clean and displays some occasional verve, the overall story worked, and the tension inherent in the premise is important to the novel (if not entirely resolved). The fact the POV character is an astrophysicist who lives in the Big Bend area of Texas just sucked me right in at the start, but it wasn't as though I wasn't a willing passenger.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment