And again we have a novel where the best thing about it is the title. The text itself has more or less no charms, what with flat and lifeless and barely-differentiated characters; jumbled nonlinearity and cluttered multiple POVs (who all seem to be varying shades of unreliable, which makes it really hard to believe a single word on the page, which is probably the novel's single biggest problem); and a basic completely linear plot line that's basically "watch the bad person do the bad things" with approximately zero narrative tension. The prose is tepid in that "because you are neither hot nor cold I shall spew you from my mouth" kinda way. I guess it's about as good to find a novelist I can avoid as one I can look for, right? I'll just keep telling myself that, I guess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...

No comments:
Post a Comment