One of a small handful of mystery series I'll read books from, in any order I find them. Ms. Coel's empathy for the Arapahoes of Wind River is deep and occasionally borders on heartbreaking. This has an interesting structural fillip, in that the instigating event is a theft, not a murder--though there is eventually a murder to solve. There's an ongoing tension here that I remember being strong enough in a later novel to strongly imply that one of her mains is going to find himself unable to continue being a Roman Catholic priest, though here it's much less overt. The characters are different and believable, and the story is distressingly plausible, though Ms. Coel does unpack in her afterword/acknowledgments where her fiction departs from reality. I'll keep reading more of these novels as I keep finding them, probably.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment