This is a surprisingly effective novel, somewhere in the border of thriller and nonsupernatural horror, deeply concerned with misogyny both in the broader culture and in like three genres of fiction (or, at least, in regard to the fiction, concerned with misogyny in interpretations of those genres). Plausibly also has something to be said about techbros and all their works, but that seems a little peripheral to this particular novel. Immensely violent and probably triggering in many ways (though if you're reading a Horror novelist, you should probably expect that). There's a little slowness, I thought, some stumbling, in the early goings (that plural is intentional) but it does pick up, especially once the novel's threads finally come together. Ms. Henry writes strongly, with passion that in this novel borders on rage; I am very impressed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment