This is a short novel, and a pretty straightforward one--its message is barely in the subtext. The people of Africa were not perfect, and neither were their cultures; the arrival of Europeans did nothing to improve the lot of the people or the shape of their cultures. The fact the primary POV character in this novel is someone it's hard to call a particularly good person arguably makes that message all the clearer. It's a beautifully-written novel, does a good job of conveying the experience of living in that culture to a reader who has no points of reference. I can see why it regularly gets assigned in schools.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment