I should have quit maybe seventy-five pages in, when I realized the narrator of this novel was completely unreliable, too mentally ill to be believable about anything. I didn't stop, and it didn't get more believable, the narrator never really became anything like reliable; it was 300+ pages of delusional ranting that never really evolved anything like story bits or tension or really anything to sustain my interest. I didn't notice Alix Harrow's blurb on the cover in the library, it would have been something like an inducement--I hope this novel isn't an indicator I'll have to disregard her blurbs the way I do some other authors I enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...

No comments:
Post a Comment