It became clear within the first fifty pages that this was a novel about a bunch of Appalachian witches dealing with a murder and the Powers behind it. I kept reading anyway, and I really regret that choice. It's murky and muddled and the characters are barely distinct from each other and at the end the putatively good characters seem to have sacrificed another world and all the people on it. I wish it hadn't taken over four hundred pages to get to that ending. The fact the author seems to have at least occasionally reached for heightened prose and basically ... failed to get there did not improve things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment