This looked like a horror novel when I saw it in the library, and after last night's sub-awesome book by a horror author I figured I'd give it a shot. It's not a very good novel. It's disjointed and kinda tips more surreal than the author really has chops to pull off, and even for supernatural horror it has some ... plausibility issues--though they're mostly around how people behave more than the supernatural-ish stuff. The prose is occasionally a little awkward and flat, but the dialogue mostly rings true (though there's not a lot of distinction between the three main characters). The story seems to want to say things I'm inclined to agree with about family and its value, especially Black family, but there's a lot of clutter and cruft that gets in the way of saying it. Oh, well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment