Found this in a book store a few months ago, and I'd read some Tremblay and enjoyed it--and the thought of a riff on Chandler kinda appealed, too. Alas, it turns out that Tremblay is much better when he's writing horror, which this is not. The choice to have a narcoleptic narrator is, er, tiresome; he never really seems to figure anything out, solutions just seem to land on him. Maybe that's not far from Chandler, but this is at best a pale shadow of that. The prose seemed almost lifeless, and the characters all seemed blurry and vague. If I didn't like Tremblay's more recent horror so well, this would just about put me off him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment