I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emerge later on, there's really just the one bad decision and everything follows that. There are criminals of varying degrees of competence, Dortmunder (and his small handful of friendly acquaintances--maybe even friends) on the high end, the would-be grifters who rope Dortmunder, et al., into their scheme very much not so smart as they think they are. Westlake's prose cracks wise at just about every opportunity, but I never had the sense that either he or the characters weren't taking things seriously; that's not an easy tightrope to walk, Block walks it, Hiaasen walks it, it's rare. The characters are pretty believable and distinguishable, the pacing hums along nicely, the events all make sense within the context of the novel. A new pleasure has opened to me. Huzzah.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
No comments:
Post a Comment