Read these over the weekend. They're a duology, because Ms. Jemisin ... lost the will to complete it as a planned trilogy but wasn't going to leave it unfinished. Really, *The City We Became* could have served well as a standalone novel--I thought it ended just fine--but the escalation in *The World We Make* made sense. There are some things in both books that pay off in surprising ways, and Ms. Jemisin writes smooth and engaging and funny as hell.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Shadow Year by Jeffrey Ford
I read this last night but am only getting around to posting it this afternoon; I have no excuses or jokes to make about that, oops. This ...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...

No comments:
Post a Comment