I spent like the first two-thirds of this novel not sure whether I really wanted to finish it. I'm kinda a sucker for mysteries set in various and sundry Native American countries (yeah, like Hillerman ..) but I really wasn't sure how I felt about all the Anishinaabeg beliefs being portrayed as though they were objectively real--I don't believe in nothing, and having mystic stuff in a mystery novel seemed like a bit of a violation, or a category error. Last third grabbed me and held tight: The characters are well-drawn, and the budding romance is handled ably, and whatever gawds there may be know the various Native American peoples got many fuzzy ends of many lollipops, and the evolution of one crime method to another as society changes was deeply believable. The couple of instances of "Hello, crime novel from 2014" not withstanding, I feel pretty good about this book, and the chances I'll look into other novels in the series are high.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
No comments:
Post a Comment