This novel looks kinda like it's a Horror novel, but it's not--the closest thing I can think of is something like Magic Realism. A town where ghosts are part of the social fabric, a slaughterhouse and butchery that employs genetically engineered anthropomorphic pigs: There are obvious attempts at symbolism of various sorts here. The story isn't horrible, but the characters aren't really what I found to be engaging; the novel seems to be more interested in saying something (probably about letting the past be the past, mostly) than in telling a story, which is kinda the opposite of my preference, at least on that axis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare by Giles Milton
A really clever title for a moderately interesting book. Spends a lot of time talking about the building of the infrastructure of training...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...

No comments:
Post a Comment