Monday, May 27, 2024
Razor Girl by Carl Hiassen
Now, this was a fun read. Sure, Hiassen has things he wants to say about American culture, and Florida in particular, and he cares deeply about the environment and about corruption in government (though that very last isn't really at play in this novel) but really this is just varyingly exaggerated characters making their way through a nested tangle of criminal schemes and reality TV programming. It's maybe not as wacky as some of his very early novels, at least as I remember them, but it's funny and engaging, and the characters with clearer moral codes generally come through the novel better than those without.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment