After the mess that was Tuesday's attempted read, I needed something reliable. Hiaasen does not write normal, or rational, crime novels, but he is reliably fun and funny; this novel is no exception. An unhinged storyline, deranged characters, and delicious turns of phrase; all with satisfactory or better payoffs. This is not the full-on satire of some of Hiaasen's novels, but there is a lot in it about Florida and corruption and wealth and development and people just trying to get by without being total shits. Many of his characters are implausible and deranged, but the ones at their hearts tend to be remarkably unselfish; it's nice to spend time in their heads. Yeah, it's a movie tie-in printing, I don't care; if anyone deserves to have his novels adapted and make more money, it's Hiaasen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment