This is my first DNF in a while, and I've read some really mediocre-at-best books over at least the last couple-three months. The prose is, I suppose, competent enough; other than persistent use of "alright" as a word, there weren't like glaring infelicities. The story, though ... oh my brain the story. I couldn't really muster any caring for any of the characters, they all seemed fated for the chipper-shredder at any time; the events started kinda ludicrous (the archangel Michael is a character for the luvva the gawds, and the primary Maguffin of at least the first half of the novel is a fucking hand that seems to be fucking Satan's) and got worse right up to the moment when a couple of characters got chased out of a morgue by the fucking undead. I loathe zombie fiction, at this point, and that was when I lost the willingness to keep trying to suspend my disbelief. Also, there's a goddam sequel, which I hope it's obvious I won't be wasting my time on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment