After reading something by this author and thinking it was better than I would have expected, I saw this in the library and figured I'd give it a shot. There's some wonky science at work in this novel, but once you get past that, it plays out well enough as like a space-opera kinda turned inside-out. The human characters have all sorts of virtues, but most of what they do doesn't really matter; the AI does basically everything. I have to believe that's kinda Barry's point, here, that unnecessary--maybe even pointless--isn't the same as meaningless. The prose is pretty solid, the pacing and characters all good, a decently written--if kinda dark--novel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment