Grabbed this from the library when I saw it, because I'm basically in some kind of love with David Joy's writing, and oh my gawds this is a brutal and beautiful novel. It's at least a little more hopeful than Where All Light Tends to Go, the ending turns almost elegiac, just the last handful of paragraphs as one of the POV characters is pondering the differences between the mountain life he was born into and the mountain life he's going to be leaving behind. Joy writes with belief and empathy and his prose is sweet like blood, his characters make choices they know are bad and they still often aren't prepared for how bad things will get, how heavy the consequences will be for their actions; he never shies away from telling their truths, from showing their pain. His novels are strong stuff, but they're worth it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment